Monday, July 26, 2010

THE SPANISH COURT HOTEL, KINGSTON


A Kingston overnight presents challenges to the out-of-town businesswoman. Some hotels are too big, with lobbies always overflowing with event traffic. Others are too small, more suitable for those on more private appointments. In choosing one to meet professional needs, the unaccompanied lady has few appropriate selections.

The Spanish Court Hotel, Kingston’s newest, is one such option -- an oasis of beauty and comfort in the middle of bustling New Kingston that is small enough to avoid that ‘lost’ feeling, while sociable enough to be a preferred resting spot and meeting place for those who value being surrounded on all sides by aspects of beauty. For indeed, everything within the Spanish Court Hotel is quite simply Beautiful, with a capital B.

The Spanish Court is the major opus of Realtor Chris Issa, whose family n ame is synonymous with Jamaica’s hotel industry. This is his first venture into the business and it is quite a spectacular entrance. It is clear that, faced with the reality of transforming a small shopping plaza into a 3-storey hotel, Chris Issa made bold decisions that the beauty of the design and décor would compensate for its compact size. So at every turn and level, the Spanish Court Hotel presents eye candy, whether in the welcoming red walls surrounding the burnished gold Reception Desk, or the startling turquoise and black silk shag carpet that complements the clear blue glass vases and bottles decorating the shelves of the Library/Sitting Room.

The glass-windowed ground floor public areas are divided only by floor-to-ceiling angled wooden louvers that separate the spaces psychologically while allowing free access to breezes and views of the beautiful interiors. Bold colours, dark brown wood, lounge chairs in Zebra patterns or bright blues, and Lucite-backed chairs of modern design blend harmoniously against the muted lighting from gauze-draped windows. Chandeliers are unexpected and black and white photographs decorate red walls.

Along the corridor to my room, the wall around each door was painted a different colour that added a bright lift. Entry to my room was even more impressive. First the bellman inserted the plastic key into the door and opened it, then he inserted the card into a slot by the door and the electricity came on while he explained that each time I left the room and removed the key, all the electricity in the room would be turned off. That nice environmental touch prefaced what lay ahead.

My bed had six pillows, four covered in delightful Egyptian cotton, two decorated in green linen and red silk to match the red silk duvet at the foot of the bed. Big wooden drawers were matched by wooden (not metal or plastic!) wastebaskets. In the bathroom Kohler basin and fixtures fed a bath that was not coffin-shaped, but oval with arm rests that made me glad I had packed my Starfish Oils bath salts. The Rusk Sensories soaps and shampoos are sweet-smelling and creamy. In the fridge were bottles of water and a plate of sliced fruits and as I nibbled, a knock at the door introduced housekeeper Ayesha bearing a thick cotton pique bathrobe. The huge flat screen TV tempted, but business called and I headed for my appointment.

Returning late afternoon, it was time to enjoy a cool juice on the deck surveying the unique beauty of water flowing over the edges of the turquoise-tiled lap pool that deserves to be used -– such a good idea for the limited space. The view over New Kingston’s towers stretched further as the city’s light twinkled on and it was time for dinner.

My girlfriend postponed her catch-up news as she ooh-ed and ahh-ed about how beautiful the hotel was. We dined on thick and spicy pumpkin soup sprinkled with parsley, a balsam vinaigrette salad, then snapper in rich, creamy coconut sauce with cauliflower and carrots and rice and peas. Yumm. No space for dessert and no thanks to coffee, just water please, as Bridgette, the black-uniformed dining room staff hovered professionally.

My night’s rest enjoyed the comfort of the sheets and the total darkness that the drawn blinds provided, a welcome inkiness that made me rise afresh next morning. Ten laps on foot around (not, unfortunately, in) the lap pool on the deck gave me the equivalent of my regular morning walk and soon it was time to descend to breakfast. The dining room was abuzz with accents – Spanish, American, French – as I assembled fruit, yoghurt, toast and boiled egg from the buffet. At the table next to me, Jamaican breakfast was ordered, while staff offered newspapers and coffee.

Heading upstairs to pack, I was greeted by Lee Ann Godfrey, the Spanish Court’s manager, who comes to Kingston after 6 ½ years at Beaches Boscobel in St. Mary. She tells me that the hotel’s décor designer is Allison Antrobus, daughter of noted Jamaican Women’s Bureau pioneer Peggy Antrobus. Two generations of strong, creative Jamaican women have resulted in a beautiful, classy and modernistic hotel in which this particular Jamaican woman feels so at home. Having a female manager is another plus and Lee Ann tells me bookings are looking very healthy.

As I sat reading the glossy coffee table books as an excuse to enjoy the cool turquoise and blue colours of the Library, I could see that I was not the only person impressed by this beautiful little hotel, as I was the subject of several of the many photographs that arriving guests and sightseers were taking of the decor all the time I was there. I will return to the Spanish Court Hotel. This time I will bring my swimsuit for the lap pool.










No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your Comments.